An Ode to the Fresh Cut
Derrick Barnes, Gordon C. James
- One of the first books in the debut lineup of Denene Millner Books, the highly anticipated children’s book line of New York Times bestselling author Denene Millner, a contributing editor at Agate Publishing, where she is publishing children’s and YA literature dedicated to African American voices and stories.
- Themes of confidence and self-esteem in looking good.
- Lush, colorful, realistic imagery featuring various African American male characters.
- Celebrates the humanity of young black boys.
- An homage to the rituals of black barbershops.
- Barnes is the author of multiple children’s books, including the popular Ruby and The Booker Boys series.
- Barnes is the father of four sons, whom he writes about on his parenting blog, Raising the Mighty